March 15, 2005

Weetzie Bat Has Company

Aaah! Francesca Lia Block, being praised for being "edgy" has an AWARD now...for lifetime achievement!!!!! The NY Times comments here. (Requires free registration!)

I want to know, dear people, your thoughts on this one. Block's first book was in 1989 (-- wasn't her first book Weetzie Bat? How come I can't get a Lifetime Achievement Award for my first book!?) and already she's getting a LIFETIME achievement award from the ALA when the National Book Award people just NOW awarded Judy Blume for the very first time? Something's certainly odd about that. I mean, I assume that Blume got recognition from the ALA sooner than her recent NBA award this past year, but it just seems like much ado about nothing to be awarding Block. She simply rewrites the same book over and over. Or is it just me?

That's this hour's writing gripe... back to work.

No comments: