August 07, 2009

HOLY MOLEY.




Ummm, blogosphere peeps? Will you please promise only to use your powers for good? Please? Kthnx.

Wow.
Props to Bloomsbury. I mean, yeah, it took a whole lot of intense discussion and a lot of backpedaling, shamefaced foot shuffling, and outright lying to begin with, but they took stock and refocused and made their people work. They came up with a cover that is just as dynamic and compelling as the first -- and since it's not as washed out, I'd say it's possibly twice as compelling. (I haven't yet read the book, but the word "nappy" was used to describe the character's hair, and I understood that she was not pretty, and could pass as a boy... this ...isn't what I see on the cover, but... Okay. I admit again: the book isn't out, I HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK. I've tried all along to reserve judgment. Which, for me, is amusing, I know.) And this book will also be twice as compelling, for many, because it's the name of a safely well-known author on that pretty new cover, and they know she won't let them down. So, all's well that... ends, right?

Anyway. Kudos to Justine Larbalestier, and here's hoping that people everywhere can prove that old publishing excuse, that there won't be any sales with a brown face on the cover, wrong, wrong, wrong.

7 comments:

Laini Taylor said...

Wow, did they really change it? Weren't the books already printed? Kind of amazing. I mean: amazing they effed up so badly in the first place, but equally amazing if they actually changed the cover of the h.c!

Susan T. said...

Holey Moley is right! I'm so glad Justine and others spoke up.

David T. Macknet said...

Wow, who's the Mediterranean girl they used for the model on this one?

Yat-Yee said...

Hey guys: I'm awarding you with the Superior Scribblers Award. Thanks for your awesome reviews.

PV Lundqvist said...

It's good to see a publisher learn and grow. This was the right move, alright.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

wow and I love it!

Saints and Spinners said...

It's a compelling read, the kind that makes me mad. The bookseller who lent me the ARC said she was thrilled that the publishers changed the cover, but she has dealt with frustrating customers who have turned down books based on skin-color depicted on covers. Well, the more that books have a variety of people on the covers, the more likely attitudes will shift.

I hope.