February 12, 2011

Desperately Seeking a Door Near Here...

You know how, when you're little, you sit and imagine the kind of house you'll have? And you know how you have those whimsical ideas that include, oh, the chocolate river from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or a tea set like The Red Queen's or a magical tollbooth like Milo's from The Phantom Tollbooth? Granted, not a lot of the things we wanted when we were wee are reasonably gettable -- it really is tricky to get down that hole to steal the Red Queen's tea things, and it's a right royal pain to clean up after that chocolate river, for instance, -- and the chocolate fountains people have at weddings?? are SO not even close -- but that's how it is when reality intersects with imagination, right?

Except, it's not. Well, it doesn't have to be. But most of us settle for Dull, and Accepted, and Typical, and Normal. The things we COULD have from childhood and imagination, we don't often have, because they're Too Much Trouble, and Hard, and not what we think we want anymore.

Unless we're Neil Gaiman.

People: I need Neil Gaiman's lamp post.

It is not fair that his backyard is part of Narnia.

I am getting a lamp post.
Yeah, yeah, fine. I am getting a back yard and a house first. Details, people, details. I am GETTING THE LAMP POST. This is all you need concern yourself with.

That is all.

The lamp post pictured is on the campus of Glasgow University. There are several others in the cloisters, that are equally as awesome and have the advantage of being in the cloisters, but it is not snowing in those shots, and The Lamppost of Narnia is ever in snow, and so this one must do.

10 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a cool idea! We have lamp posts outside the library windows and I have taken some shots that are very Narnia. One of the things I will miss from this job. I love Gaiman's post. Thanks for sharing your dream!

Alex said...

After reading your post and then Neil Gaiman's, I truly hope you get a lamp post. It looks like such fun to have one, cold but fun.

Carin Siegfried said...

I wanted to live in a tree house a la The Swiss Family Robinson. Unfortunately, I live in a 2-story condo instead, but perhaps one day! Keep the dream alive!

Anonymous said...

I love this post. It has inspired me to start reclaiming some of the things I always wanted and seeing if I might make them real. It is, unfortunately, too late to install a secret passageway or hidden chamber in my house, but were it not, I would do it. I always wanted one.

And, like Carin S., I wanted to live in a Swiss Family Robinson tree house. An elegant one, of course.

tanita✿davis said...

OOH! Swiss Family Robinson!!

I also wanted to ride the ostrich they had in the movie.

...it's probably too late for that, too.

Definitely, guys. Keep dreaming. Thanks for sharing your whimsy with me.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Speaking of Swiss Family Robinson (and other stuff), did you see that crazy hotel that Leila posted about? They have Swiss Family rooms and Twilight-themed rooms.

Not sure what I think of that. I DO remember being sad when they took out the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse at Disneyland, even if it was ancient and cruddy by the time I was a kid. :)

Colleen said...

Oh, I remember the Swiss Family Treehouse in Disney World! I loved it (and I'm so old that it was new when I walked in it!!).

As soon as I saw that post at Neil Gaiman's I knew I had to have a lamp post. It will happen - it's totally in my 5 year plan.

Saints and Spinners said...

I would love to have a lamp-post, too, a proper one. The house does have a door into another universe, though. It's on the back of our house in the attic space (such as it is) in lieu of a window. No one has ever traveled through it.... no one that we know.

Saints and Spinners said...

P.S. By "a proper one," I mean not the one in our alley.

tanita✿davis said...

Kelly - it's NOT too late to have a secret chamber built...!